Wartime Canada was envisioned as a way to make the visual heritage of the nation at war freely available in digital form. Our emphasis is on the kind of material that is usually regarded as disposable – the very material that was omnipresent in the lives of Canadians in wartime.
The documents are sorted by category but in a manner to encourage browsing – rather than imposing a narrative, we are letting the artifacts speak for themselves and encouraging users to explore this history in any order they wish. New items are constantly being added, so visit us frequently.
Wartime Canada is intended to provide material that is freely downloadable for reproduction and research, and we have made every reasonable effort to ensure that all documents are in the public domain. Please direct any questions on this matter to the project co-directors.
The website is a collaborative effort involving universities, institutions, and interested individuals from across Canada, with funding from The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council’s Public Outreach program. We are very grateful for financial support from the Ley and Lois Smith Fund, through the Department of History at The University of Western Ontario.
- Jonathan F. Vance – Department of History at The University of Western Ontario
- Graham Broad – King’s University College at The University of Western Ontario
- Laurier Centre for Military, Strategic and Disarmament Studies at Wilfrid Laurier University (Mike Bechthold and Roger Sarty)
- Department of History at the University of Ottawa (Serge Durflinger and Jeff Keshen)
- Gregg Centre for the Study of War and Society at the University of New Brunswick (Marc Milner and Brent Wilson)
Educational Outreach Co-ordinator:
- Matthew Vanderheide
- Greg Colgan, The University of Western Ontario
- Monique Dolak, University of Ottawa
- Rebecca Josephy, The University of Western Ontario
- Madeleine Kloske, University of Ottawa
- Nathaniel Kuch, The University of Western Ontario
- Caitlin McCuaig, The University of Western Ontario
- Caitlin McWilliams, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Laura Piticco, The University of Western Ontario
- Fabrice Szabo, The University of Western Ontario
- Gordon Vance, The University of Western Ontario